Saturday, February 7, 2009

Achieving a Cherished Goal

Have you ever written a list of things that you want to do in the next few years? It’s a habit I have had for some time now. I am the kind of person that needs to see something every day to get me to do it. I found one of those lists about a month ago that I wrote in 2004. I was actually stunned that I had accomplished a good majority of it. BUT (there is always a but) there was one item that nagged at me more than any other; Goal #5, Race Mountain bikes. 
I'd lost 25 pounds, I'd gotten the family mini Van, I'd Continued schooling, and heck I'd even landed a position in marketing, a 10 year goal, in 2 years (and in the cycling industry of all places.)  To know why this nagged me you have to know a little more of whom I am. Since I was 12 and all through high school I was an avid swimmer and competed in swim meets regularly. It was a way of life. Every two weeks to feel those butterflies, Set the goggles, stand on the blocks, and Explode on the buzzer. I kind of miss it, and by miss it I mean the test. You spend all this time swimming laps in endless circles. And then given the opportunity to prove it was worth it. 
Last week while I was at work I found out that a group of four guys were going to a 24 hour race in Arizona, and had a team member drop out pretty much at the last minute. The opportunity was extended to me and a friend if either of us would like to go. Internally I was giddy, but played it calm and made sure that my friend knew he had first dibbs. We settled out who was going over a few rides. I won't get into details, but the chance to go was mine shortly after hearing, “You’re KILLING me Smalls" at a rest point. That was Last week, and OH the difference a week makes.
In case you are not aware a 24 hour race is just that; A race that lasts 24 hours. Now don't go thinking I am some Superman doing this alone, I am one man of four on a relay, but thanks for  thinking that highly of me :D . My goal is to run four laps. It is the 24 hours of Old Pueblo the site is HERE. The course is 16 miles and had 1200 feet of climbing, so I want to pull 64 miles and 4800 vertical feet. That Friday last week when I found out I was going I did something drastic, I stopped eating Chocolate, and drinking Soda. I know scary, I have found out in the last week that I am a bored eater, and must have been addicted to chocolate. It took 5 days to kill that, "NEED CHOCOLATE" Nag in my head. Now I am amazed at just how much we eat chocolate, and how much it is advertised. I have to say I think that was a brilliant choice. My other choice I am not so sure if it is brilliant, but time will tell. Being a past athlete I knew I could not just show up to a race and expect to hit my goal, so I set up a training schedule.

Saturday: Pain Tolerance –  20 miles 1230 ft, Warm down 10miles 500 ft
Sunday: Rest
Monday: Extended Commute with Hill Climbs 20 miles 900 ft (total)
Tuesday: Tall Gear Commute & Training Ride 10 miles 1000 ft 
Wednesday: Spinning Commute (Burn Tolerance)
Thursday: Taper - Regular Commute
Friday: Taper - Regular Commute
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Rest

Today is Saturday and aside from missing my taper yesterday I am on track (dumb rain). I have tacked on 46 miles on top of the 90 I do in a normal week commuting. Of course I have to add that I had two crashes. Nothing serious, I just got new tiers and a new gear set up and am seeing what they can take, better to fail now than mid race.
I have also done Core exercises, and stretches to avoid killer back pain (I ride a Single Speed, Long Story I'll Tell you later; yes it's harder than a geared bike).  Next week I am going to run intervals on the way to work and focus on steady constant pedaling. Big thing is to keep the strength that I’ve gained from this quick drill and get some energy built back up.
I think out of all of this I am excited for two reasons. The First that I am going to finally beat that goal of getting into a race, and I have a feeling it is not going to be my last. Secondly, I am really looking at life a little bit different. Instead on just a chug along with the goal and evaluation too far down the road to cause self evaluation I am measuring myself in the here and now and seeing if I have what it takes and what I need to do to step it up. I cannot wait for the start of the race, I am giddy and itching for a fight. 


No comments: